Tenant Information

There are rules surrounding the rental of a house, unit, share house or room in Queensland.

These rules may vary from other states in Australia and are set out in the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act).

The Act states:

  • the rights and responsibilities of tenants and lessors/agents
  • what tenants and lessors/agents can and cannot do
  • how to address issues that may arise during the tenancy and
  • what happens if either party breaks the law

The Act applies to:

  • tenants renting a house, unit or caravan from an lessor or agent
  • residents renting a room from a provider

It does not apply to:

  • contracts of sale or mortgages if the sale of contract is for 28 days or less
  • holiday lettings
  • rental purchase plan agreements
  • temporary refuge accommodation (e.g. a women’s shelter)
  • commercial property (e.g. shop leases)
  • renting outside of Queensland

There are other types of rental accommodation that may be covered by the Act. For further information,contact the RTA.

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) administers the legislation, provides information, holds rental bonds, provides dispute assistance and undertakes investigations.

Tenants in Queensland must have a tenancy agreement and if they pay a rental bond this bond must be lodged with the RTA.